CVE-2019-10071: Timing Attack in HMAC Verification in Apache Tapestry
- Apache Tapestry 5.3.6 through current releases.
Apache Tapestry uses HMACs to verify the integrity of objects stored on the
client side. This was added to address the Java deserialization
disclosed in CVE-2014-1972. In the fix for the previous vulnerability, the
HMACs were compared by string comparison, which is known to be vulnerable to
No new release of Tapestry has occurred since the issue was reported.
organizations may want to consider locally applying commit
- 2019-03-12: Issue discovered.
- 2019-03-13: Issue reported to email@example.com.
- 2019-03-29: Pinged thread to ask for update.
- 2019-04-19: Fix committed.
- 2019-04-23: Asked about release timeline, response "in the upcoming
- 2019-05-28: Pinging again about release.
- 2019-06-24: Asked again, asked for CVE number assigned. No update on
- 2019-08-22: Disclosure posted.
This vulnerability was discovered by David Tomaschik of the Google Security